08 November 2009

Sam Jinks

Sam Jinks currently lives and works in Melbourne where he spends his time creating hyper-realistic Sculptures out of Silicon. With a background in Film and Television effects, he has been a commercial sculptor for 11 years, the last 5 working on his own art full time.



Hi Sam, could you tell us a little about your background? How did you get started?
I’ve always loved sculptural realism in art. Its evolved over the years but a beautifully sculpted figure always inspires me. I got started in sculpture professionally while working on TV ads making puppets and props, from there I worked in film for a number of years. It was a great start because I learned how to mold and cast sculptures and use latex and silicones.

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working towards several shows for next year with a bunch of new works. It’s a very busy time. At this stage I’m spending most of my time sculpting in clay as most of the works are still being modeled.

Could you talk through the creative process for one of your recently completed projects? (The Hanging Man)
The hanging man was conceived over a long period, I sculpted an early version some years before I produced the final one, but was never quite happy with it.  I couldn’t leave it alone so I ended up going back to it and producing the one that was finally exhibited. Usually I sculpt a small maquette or miniature version before doing it full scale but in this case it wound up being produced twice..four times including maquettes. The process to produce most of these works is very similar. They begin as clay sculptures built up over an armature then there molded and cast in silicone. Once the cast is cleaned up I then poke the hairs into it and add a little final colour.

What do you hope the viewer will take away from your sculptures?
I’d like to think that the viewer would feel something after viewing the work, perhaps they could even have some sort of physical experience or maybe see something that they can relate to in their own lives.

Which of your projects has been the most rewarding?
I’d have to say its always the one I’m working on at the moment.

Your techniques seem similar to movie prop making? Do you have any interest in the film industry and special effects?
I have worked in film and have always loved the process of making something to support a story. It’s a fun job. I do occasionally work with friends in film but its generally to help out.



Do you have any advice for people looking to get into sculpting and the creative industry?
Drawing is always a great place to start if you’re interested in sculpture, I think if your drawing skills are good then sculpting comes quite naturally. As far as the creative industry goes I think there is always room for someone who has there own outlook on the world. It’s not always easy to get your work out there but if you’re committed and if you persist, then you’re bound to succeed.

where can people see your work?
My next major solo show is in May of next year with Karen Woodbury Gallery in Melbourne.

Links:
www.samjinks.com
Karen Woodbury Gallery


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen